Growing up with a Jamaican mother, my childhood was filled with yummy island recipes and traditions. We would visit Jamaica every year as a family and would make extra room in our suitcases so we could bring back all the foods we loved for when we were home.
As I was browsing through new recipes to try, this Jamaican Hummingbird Pancake recipe caught my eye and I made it that very morning. It was heaven. The pancakes not only smell amazing when you make them, but the flavors remind me of what it was like growing up and visiting Jamaica.
Based off of classic Jamaican Hummingbird Cake, these easy Hummingbird pancakes will make your tastebuds dream.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 12 Pancakes
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1/4 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil or butter, for frying
- Banana, pecans and maple syrup for topping (optional)
- Heat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat
- In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, banana, eggs and milk, whisking until combined. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Incorporate dry ingredients into wet, stirring only until combined.
- Once your griddle is hot, liberally grease with oil/butter. Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto surface. Cook on one side until holes form around edges (about two minutes) then flip and cook on other side for additional 1-2 minutes. Don’t let the pan get too hot — you want a nice even heat.
- Serve with banana slices, pecans and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup!
Cooking tips + tricks: Not the biggest fan of pineapple? Replace it with an extra banana. It still tastes fantastic!